You may recall that several meetings ago, Dave Haggarty mentioned he had been in discussions regarding the exhibition gallery space that might be made available to the RAPC in the City of Ottawa’s new Central Archives building on Tallwood Drive, off Woodroffe Avenue. These discussions have been going well and while the RA (on behalf of the RAPC) has yet to sign a formal agreement with the City, all signs point to a successful conclusion. My purpose in writing you at this time is to determine who among the RAPC members would be interested in mounting an exhibition of prints during the 2012 calendar year.
To summarize what the City is proposing for 2012:
· The gallery space in the building would be shared among the RAPC, the Camera Club of Ottawa (CCO) and the City Archives itself.
· The RAPC would be allocated the gallery space for 5 weeks from February 21 to March 25 (setup Monday Feb 20 from 1-4pm and tear down Monday, Mar 26 from 9-12 noon) and a second 5 week period from August 14 to September 16 (setup Monday, Aug 13 from 1-4pm and tear down Monday, Sept 17 from 9-12 noon).
· The RAPC and CCO would jointly share an 8 week period from November 6 to December 27. However, how the gallery space would be allocated during this period will be decided on a yet-to-be-determined agreement between the RAPC and the CCO.
· The Archives will provide 16×20 inch black metal frames for the prints. Several larger 20×24 frames may also be available, although this has yet to be decided.
· Printing and matting will be the responsibility of the artist.
· The City is also considering installing one or two wide screen LCDs for showing digital prints. It is unlikely these will be available for the first, and possibly the second, exhibition dates allocated to the RAPC. Once these do become available (if they do) we will seek applications for this means of exhibit as well.
· The artist will be responsible for determining the selling price of their prints. However, be aware that the City requires a 15% commission on the selling price of the artist’s work.
· Given the wall space involved in the gallery, there are possibly 40-60 photos that could be exhibited at any one time.
What we are looking for at this point is an indication from those RAPC members who would be interested in exhibiting on one of the two dates that have been solely assigned to us in 2012. Specifically, if you are interested, please let me know by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday, November 18 your response to the following:
· Would you be prepared and able to mount a coherent, thematic exhibit of 10 images in the Gallery (please do not send photos, we only want the theme or subject of your proposed exhibit at this point, not the images themselves)?
· On which of the two dates (or either) would you be able to mount an exhibit (it is imperative that you or your delegate be available for the setup and tear down on the posted dates)?
· Can you please describe the theme (topic) of the 10 images you would propose to mount (You may propose more than one thematic exhibit)?
· Is there any other information you would wish to add respecting your proposed exhibit?
A small group is being set up to jury the applications we receive and we will get back to you on decisions that are taken.